Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Evolving Fractal


 I, like every thoughtful person, am seeking meaning in life. I know that at times we look at those around us and we pass judgments. I say how can that person (drug addict, pedophile, rapist, or unscrupulous businessman) live such a self-indulgent life? And then I consider someone like Mother Teresa of Calcutta "By blood, I am Albanian. By citizenship, an Indian. By faith, I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the Heart of Jesus."  I am overwhelmed by the beautiful, simplicity of her spirit.  I wonder where do I rank on the humanity continuum—am I living up to my truest potential, or am I taking expedient shortcuts? 

(Mother Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997)Vatican news services retrieved 30 April 2012) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa.


I do believe there is a plan and orderliness to life. I do not believe life is random or accidental. I do not know what language the Creator actually speaks. Perhaps he/she does actually speak the language of math; perhaps (s)he speaks fractal.

The Chaotic Life: Patterns and randomness in how we live,” by David Pincus discusses
“Fractal Brains: Fractal Thoughts Our Brains are fractal, with far reaching branches,”
(September 4, 2009) by Dr. David Pincus in The Chaotic Life. Researchers from the University of Cambridge took a big step forward this year in understanding how our brains work. It seems that the brain has a fractal organization. This likely gives us much of what we consider human. And at a deeper level these findings may help to connect us in a very fundamental way to the rest of the natural world. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-chaotic-life

 FRACTAL PATTERNS IN NATURE







                                                                                                                                                                             

So what do fractals have to do with Mother Teresa? The beauty that is Mother Teresa lies in the plan and orderliness of her life and her willingness to commit and cooperate with this plan in her life. Is this an easy process? It seems not.

Our Lord wants me to be a free nun covered with the poverty of the cross. Today I learned a good lesson. The poverty of the poor must be so hard for them. While looking for a home I walked and walked till my arms and legs ached. I thought how much they must ache in body and soul, looking for a home, food and health. Then the comfort of Loreto [her former order] came to tempt me. 'You have only to say the word and all that will be yours again,' the Tempter kept on saying ... Of free choice, my God, and out of love for you, I desire to remain and do whatever be your Holy will in my regard. I did not let a single tear come. (Spink, Kathryn (1997). Mother Teresa: A Complete Authorized Biography. New York. HarperCollins, p.37. ISBN 0-06-250825-3.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa

Rather the process seems to ask us to cooperate with a plan. This plan creates incredible beauty whether the Creator is creating broccoli, a sea creature in a shell, or a human being. What is the difference between Mother Teresa, me, and the completely self-indulgent person? I think the difference lies in one’s willingness to cooperate, and have faith in a plan that is grand and amazing---beyond our ability to comprehend. We have choices—do we live in a small world bounded by our self-interest and bodily indulgences, or do we like Mother Teresa look at our fellow beings and think “… how much they must ache in body and soul, looking for a home, food and health.”

I have come to the understanding that I am not meant to be like Mother Teresa; I am meant to be me. There is a unique plan for me and it is beautiful. I am my own evolving fractal.









No comments:

Post a Comment