Saturday, July 20, 2013

Adult Acne


When I learned that our skin is the largest organ in the body I was surprised. I had never thought about my skin in that way. To me skin was the body's outer covering---like a self made shoe, nothing more. If you would look in my closet you would see I do not take very good care of my shoes—they are in need of a good polish.
Like a shoe, skin protects us from injury, and environmental dis-comforts. Our skin regulates body temperature, protects us from light, fights infection, and stores water, fat, and vitamin D. The skin is made up of two main layers the epidermis (outer layer of the skin) and the dermis. The deepest part of the epidermis produces melanin, which gives the skin its color. The dermis (the inner layer of skin) contains blood and lymph vessels, hair follicles, and glands that produce sweat, which helps regulate body temperature, and sebum, an oily substance that helps keep the skin from drying out. Sweat and sebum reach the skin's surface through tiny openings called pores. Our skin allows us to experience the pleasure of touch, and the ability to interact with our environment.
When I was an adolescent I had problem skin, cystic acne. My parents got me appropriate medical care. At the time, I did not realize that acne can be a serious health problem, my adolescent point of view was skin was about beauty---what did others see when they looked at me? My treatments were successful and my skin was great for many years. Then as I got older I began to display the characteristics of Rosacea. NOT AGAIN---I had just gotten used to thinking of myself as attractive. However this time I was armed with knowledge gained as an herbalist.
Rosacea, sometimes called adult acne, is a chronic skin condition where the face turns red may swell and has skin sores that look like acne. Symptoms include redness of the face, blushing or flushing easily, a lot of spider-like blood vessels (telangiectasia), occasionally a red nose (called a bulbous nose), acne-like skin sores that may ooze or crust, burning or stinging feeling in the face, and irritated, bloodshot, watery eyes.

Rosacea is generally considered a harmless condition. Typically, women who are fair skinned and age 30-50 may display symptoms. When men develop Rosacea the symptoms are more severe. The cause is not known.  Symptoms involve swelling of the blood vessels just under the skin. Other associated other skin disorders include acne vulgaris, seborrhea, or eye disorders (blepharitis, keratitis).

Rosacea Phases:

  1. Pre-rosacea—1. A simple tendency to flush or blush easily, 2. Then progress to a persistent redness in the central portion of your face, particularly your nose redness results from the dilation of blood vessels close to your skin's surface)
  2. Vascular rosacea— 1. Small blood vessels on your nose and cheeks swell and become visible (telangiectasia), 2. Skin may become overly sensitive. 3. May also be accompanied by oily skin and dandruff
  3. Inflammatory rosacea—1. Small, red bumps or pustules may appear and persist, spreading across your nose, cheeks, forehead and chin, 2. About 1 in 2 people with rosacea also experience ocular rosacea, a burning and gritty sensation in the eyes, the inner skin of the eyelids to become inflamed or appear scaly
Currently, there is no known cure for Rosacea. Your doctor will help identify the things, called triggers that make your symptoms worse. Avoid triggers to prevent or reduce flare-ups. Triggers are unique to the indivdual’s physiology and skin type. Triggers may include wind, hot baths, cold weather, specific skin products, exercise, or other factors.

Typical recommendations to ease or prevent symptoms include avoid sun exposure, use sunscreen every day, avoid a lot of activity in hot weather, try to reduce stress, try deep breathing, yoga, or other relaxation techniques, limit spicy foods, alcohol, and hot beverages. If you choose to use sun screen every day remember that sunscreen inhibits your skin’s ability to create vitamin D. Vitamin D is critical to being cancer free.

Physicians and dermatologists have specific treatment protocols that include antibiotics, medications, similar to vitamin A, and in severe cases laser surgery may help reduce the redness and remove some swollen nose tissue. According to standard medical thinking Rosacea cannot be cured, but may be controlled with treatment.

Steroid-Induced Rosacea has been called "The Great Impostor" because the long-term use of topical corticosteroids, a common skin therapy to reduce inflammation and redness, can actually cause rosacea-like symptoms. These hormones, Corticosteroid medications, are often prescribed to treat inflammation, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and inflammatory bowel disease. Topical corticosteroids may be used to treat some skin diseases, including dermatitis and vitiligo. However, they can be a potent skin irritant whose adverse effects often resemble rosacea. Typically the rosacea-like symptoms due to topical corticosteroids end when one stops using the medication.

Natural products for treating Rosacea
Aloe Vera gel
Green Tea Seed Oil
Camellia Seed oil
Kukui oil
Emu oil
Carrot Seed oil
Cypress
Lavender
Tea Tree

 I recommend that you try to develop a natural treatment program as many of the available medications can have serious adverse effects. A friend, with serious Rosacea symptoms, refuses to use the recommended medication because it is deadly to her cats. Over time I have developed my own Rosacea protocol based on natural products. My skin type is a medium fair. My first experiment was a yogurt facial mask (plain yogurt from the grocery store, straight out of the carton). The yogurt facial shrunk the blood capillaries, eliminated skin scaling, and eliminated inflammation. Ever since I have used a facial cleansing program that includes enzymes whether in a homemade concoction or commercial product. Rose water is a wonderful toner, pore shrinker. You can get economical rosewater at an Indian market.

Enzymes (which are in yogurt) are very good at eliminating dead skin cells. I believe the enzymes penetrate the skin and help tone the weak skin capillaries. I have found that salicylic acid  (an ingredient found in aspirin and originally gotten from willow tree bark) was very useful for getting the red out. During the winter I use a commercial cleanser that has pumpkin as an essential ingredient. During the summer I use a cleanser that includes white cranberries. After cleansing, I rotate between moisturizers, based on the weather. They include natural ingredients such as evening primrose oil, almond oil, olive oil, rice protein, calendula, and hemp.

I admit it—my favorite skin cleanser is a natural dish detergent made with enzymes, lemon and eucalyptus, which I dilute with water about 60% detergent, 40% water. (I went to see my dermatologist, who I had not seen in six years, her comment to me was your skin is so pale. She was expecting to see a flaming red face.)

Caution, if you have very sensitive skin, use enzyme cleansers with care they may be too potent for every day use. Also, pregnant women should not use salicylic acid.




No comments:

Post a Comment